BACK TO NORMALCY

After all the middle of September finds the University much the same. During the summer despite the hundreds of eager students still in Cambridge, on learning or on pleasure bent, Harvard does not present its typical appearance. But with the return of September the Yard blooms in its Indian summer, the tutoring schools graduate their annual crop, and your conventional friends greet you with conventional phrases and inquiries about the summer.

Almost before you have had a chance to answer your conventional friend has replied to your expected, albeit unuttered, question. Yes, he has had a good time in Europe or in the West or even in the metropolitan office with Sundays on the golf links; so have they all except the one unfortunate who went to summer school and got one D and one E and who assures you that he now knows how the Socialists feel.

Assuredly Cambridge is returning to normalcy. The number of Juniors on probation for failure to meet the language requirements seems as large as ever and the perennial cry of injustice is raised anew. Already a few of those who have been aptly called educational strategists are plying their trade with the list of courses and the departmental pamphlets, vaguely wondering how two o'clock classes will affect their summer dream of no college appointments before ten or after one.

Registration this year is something new and offers to the returning student, strategist and grind alike, a new and enticing problem. Long hours of waiting are to be replaced by the inviting prospect of a huge envelope containing all kinds of pamphlets, bills, notices, and schedules awaiting the registree after a mere few minutes spent in registering on Friday or Saturday.

But, after all, even with its modern methods the University is much the same. There are the same half-bewildered Freshmen, the same very sophisticated Sophomores admiring the world from their boarding-house porches, or if their tastes are less patrician from corners and drug-stores on Massachusetts Avenue, the same athletes "taking it around the Stadium" on the same hot and moisty September afternoons. All is very much the same, but a new year is upon us.