ALTRUISTIC ECONOMICS

History shows that movements for ameliorating the state of society have generally drawn their inspiration and first impetus from Youth. And by the same token these movements, on account of the impatience and lack of wisdom of their prime movers, have more often than not fallen on stony ground and come to naught. According to Mr. Rothschild's article in the present issue the Youth of Europe are now prosecuting with vigor such a movement toward renovation of their economic states. Apparently the movement has thus far no coherence beyond a kind of common program which is made up more of ardent desires than of definite aims. To restore the joy of labor by repudiating "personal gain as an economic motive" thus eliminating a "mechanical, inhuman work-relationship" is the key-note of the campaign; and together with this, to develop rather than to level the individual. Whether the movement will reach a successful conclusion depends upon whether the movers are strong and the aim attainable.

The economic end appears almost impossibly altruistic. There can never be joy in labor while men act as mere cogs in a great producing machine, and without this producing machine the vast population of the earth cannot be supported even in the simplest mode of life. To change the present order into one of production fitted to the "human needs of the producer" as well as the community would mean practically a return to the family producing unit, long since discarded as impossible for sustaining life. Finally, repudiating personal gain as an economic motive is a thing more easily said than done. At present that is admitted to be the most powerful force at work in turning the wheels of industry. Unless some other force is found to replace the desire for personal gain when it is repudiated, the wheels will of necessity turn slowly and unsteadily.

At this point the educational aim comes in to save the day. If the movement can bring about a method of developing the child according to his possibilities rather than to a pattern set by some social class", of giving him truths rather than myths, much may be achieved. Certainly this makes for individuality more than any possible outside reforms could do. If other motives are ever to replace the personal gain motive, education of this nature is the means. And if class and race strife is ever to give place to peaceful endeavor, it will come through teaching the child the truth about himself and others. By bending its efforts to reform from within educational reform the Youth movement should do an invaluable and permanent work.