HIGHEST HONORS GO TO 40 MEN IN RANK LIST

Class of 1924 Qualifies Largest Number--High Distinction Won by 111 as Compared with 91 Last Year

The publication of the Rank List showing the comparative standing of all the undergraduates in the college for the past academic year shows that 38 attained highest honors in the first group as compared to 14 in the previous year and 44 in 1921-22 Freshmen with records of three and a half A's and one and a half B's and upper classmen with at least three and a half A's and half a B are automatically placed in group one. The number of men attaining high distinction or the second group shows a considerable increase over the 1922 lingers undergraduates receiving the necessary average, as compared to the previous total of 01.

The idea of publishing yearly a list of all undergraduates with their comparative scholastic ratings was begun in the Fall of 1921 as a result of a recommendation of the Scholarship Committee of the Student Council to publish the grades as an incentive to higher scholarship. This was found impractical and the College office devised the present system of dividing all the students into six groups according to the average of the grades attained. Men who completed their requirements for a Bachelor's degree and men who missed their final examinations are not included in the percentages.

The Class of 1924 qualified the largest number of men for Group 1, 15 of this year's Seniors attaining the necessary grade. Twelve 1925 men, 2 out of course students and 11 of last year's Freshmen also qualified for highest distinction. Two hundred and eight were not promoted and so were not listed in the Rank List, and 123 left college before the end of the year.

The Rank List includes a list of the Juniors who completed their requirements for degrees and so were granted leaves of absence until 1924, and a list of men who were unable to take their final examinations because of illness or a similar cause. A record of men with honors and other distinctions and men with degrees of A.B. or S.B. with distinction is also printed.

The qualifications of the six groups are as follows.

1. Highest Distinction. Freshmen with records of at least 3 1-2 A's and 1 1-2 B's; upper classmen with at least 3 1-2 A's and 1-2 B.

2. High Distinction. Men not eligible for Group 1 but with records as follows: Freshmen with at least 1 1-2 A's and 3 1-2 B's; upper classmen with at least 1 1-2 A's and 2 1-2 B's.

3. Distinction. Men ineligible for a higher group, but with records as follows: Freshmen with at least 4 B's and 1 C; upper classmen with at least 3 1-2 B's and 1-2 C.

4. High Pass. Men ineligible for a higher group, but with records as follows: Freshmen with at least 1 1-2 B's and 3 1-2 C's; upper classmen with at least 1 1-2 B's and 2 1-2 C's.

5. Pass. Men ineligible for a higher group, but with records as follows: Freshmen with at least 4 C's and 1 D; upper classmen with at least 3 1-2 C's and 1-2 D.

6. Low Pass. Men ineligible for a higher group, who met the requirements in courses for promotion.

The following is a list of the Group 1 students.

CLASS OF 1924

W. O. Blanchard, W. O. Bruckner, J. A. Cohen, E. C. Glover, H. B. Hoffleit, I. K. Huberman, R. L. Hyatt, Jr., L. M. Kole, H. G. Lowenstoin, W. H. Piston, Jr., A. C. Poletti, F. LaM. Santee, M. S. Silbert, Louis Solano, C. B. Townsend.

CLASS OF 1925

I. M. Barnett, Bernard Bettman, H. P. Curtis, J. R. Dickson, H. T. Dunker, Mason Hammond, R. P. Howe, M. S. Huberman, R. L. Kilgour, John Marshall, W. J. Milde, Bernard Soman.

CLASS OF 26

E. C. Aswell, E. M. Balen, S. H. Checkver, W. B. Cline, G. W. Cottrell, Jr., P. M. Fekula, R. M. Fuoss, P. E. Mosely, J. R. Oppenheimer, O. M. Shaw, D. W. Wallwork.

OUT-OF-COURSE-STUDENTS

H. A. Berman, Alfred Hasbrouck.

The following table shows the number of students and the percentage of each class in each group:

*Includes 13 out-of-course students in Junior standing.

Includes 3 out-of-course students in Sophomore standing.   1924*   Number  Percentage GROUP 1  17  2.8 GROUP 2  37  6.0 GROUP 3  89  14.5 GROUP 4  127  20.8 GROUP 5  160  26.1 GROUP 6  62  10.1 All others  121  19.7 Total  613  100.0   1925 GROUP 1  12  1.6 GROUP 2  43  5.8 GROUP 3  77  10.4 GROUP 4  134  18.1 GROUP 5  225  30.4 GROUP 6  127  17.2 All others  122  16.5 Total  740  100.0   1926 GROUP 1  11  1.3 GROUP 2  31  3.8 GROUP 3  77  9.2 GROUP 4  109  13.2 GROUP 5  238  28.9 GROUP 6  204  24.7 All others  156  18.9 Total  826  100.0