OXFORD DEBATERS TO OPPOSE UNIVERSITY IN SECOND CONTEST

To be Definitely Announced This Week--Visitors Were More Subtle but Less Thorough Than Opponents Last Year

A second Oxford-Harvard debate will be held in Symphony Hall probably on the evening of October 8. Definite arrangements have been completed and only the actual date of the debate now remains in doubt. The subject, which will most likely be the French occupation of the Ruhr, will be agreed upon this week.

The University debaters will be selected from a squad which will be picked at a preliminary trial to be held tomorrow evening at 7 o'clock in Harvard Hall. The trials are open to all undergraduates in the University and candidates will be asked to make a five-minute speech either supporting or condemning the French occupation of the Ruhr.

The University debaters met Oxford for the first time last fall on October 9 and defeated them 1614 to 1000 in a debate on the subject "Resolved: that the United States should join immediately the League of Nations." The Harvard team supported the negative while the Englishmen took the affirmative side of the question.

The English debating rules will again be followed in the debate this fall and the audience will make the decision by walking out of two doors marked either "affirmative" or "negative", thus indicating its decision. The three speakers on each side will be limited to 15 minutes each and no rebuttal will be allowed.

The Englishmen were handicapped in last year's debate by the sudden illness of their third speaker which prevented his appearance. Nevertheless the foreigners were keener and more subtle than their American opponents, "using the University men's arguments to their own advantage time and again and bringing the house down again and again with laughter at their brilliant jibes." The Harvard speakers, though less eloquent, displayed excellent logic and reasoning powers, and covered their ground more thoroughly than the Englishmen.