CROSS-COUNTRY RUNNERS WILL BEGIN WORK TODAY

Successful Season Seems Probable With Experienced Material on Hand--Meeting Called for 3 O'clock

Today at 3 o'clock, the first cross-country practice will be held when both the University and Freshman candidates will report at the Locker Building on Soldiers Field. The prospects for a successful season are bright this year with Captain A. L. Coburn '24 on hand as well as J. N. Watters '26, who was captain of the Freshman team last fall, and broke the cross-country record in the meet with Yale by more than 30 seconds. R. A. Lutz '24, who placed third in the intercollegiate last year, and B. R. Cutcheon '25, who represented the University in the meet with Oxford and Cambridge this summer, will both again be available.

Because of the success of both University and Freshman teams last year, Coach Farrell expects a record-breaking squad to report today.

To avoid the confusion of having two large squads reporting at the same time, the Fall track practice will be postponed until Thursday. When the first meeting is held, however, many veterans of either University or Freshman experience are expected to report. In the quarter mile, the team will feel the lack of Captain Merrill, who is playing football. Several other promising candidates, including M. A. Cheek Jr. '26, F. K. Kernan Jr. '24, H. T. Dunker '25, and C. A. C. Eastman '24, will not report for the same reason.

For the rest of the squad the work will consist of light practice on fundamentals, and the squad will be trained with the annual Fall Handicap Meet as an objective.