BUSINESS SCHOOL NAMES THREE ASSISTANT DEANS

Appointments go to H. H. Thurlby, D. W. Malott, and J. P. Sedgwick, all of whom are Business School Graduates

Three former students at the Business School, two of whom graduated with distinction, will this year take up work in the School as assistant deans.

Mr. H. H. Thurlby received his A.B. degree from the University of Michigan in 1917, and at once entered the U. S. Navy. He was commissioned as Ensign, Supply Corps, in August of the same year and was stationed at the Boston Navy Yard. From there he went to Rome to serve as Assistant Naval Attache at U. S. Naval Headquarters. In recognition for his distinguished services the Italian Government decorated him at the close of the war.

Adopting a new plan for developing capable executives to handle its tremendous volume of business, the Navy sent four officers in 1921 to the University Business School for the regular two-year course. Mr. Thurlby was one of this number. Shortly after entering the school, he received his discharge from the Navy but found his studies so desirable that he stayed on at his own expense, receiving his degree of M.B.A. with distinction last June. He was then offered the position of assistant dean, which he accepted.

Mr. D. W. Malott graduated from the University of Kansas in 1921, and received his M.B.A. in June. In addition to his duties at the Business School he will be instructor of Business Psychology at Northeastern University.

Mr. J. P. Sedgwick is, at the age of 24, the youngest dean in the University. He finished Williams College in 1920, after having also served in the U. S. Army for two years during the war. He was Regimental Supply Sergeant of the Thirtieth Infantry. Third Division, of the American Expeditionary Force, and took part in the several major campaigns. The Army sent him to the University of Lyons before he returned to this country. On graduating from the Business School with distinction in 1922 he accepted a position with the New York financial firm of Goldman, Sache until being asked to join the Business School Staff as assistant dean. He will assist Professor A. S. Dewing '02 as instructor of Industrial Finance.