SCOTT CLUB BESTS GRAY IN AMES FINAL

David Stoffer and P. D. Miller Present Winning Case Against R. S. Foster and C. W. Partridge

The Scott Club, represented by David Stoffer 3L of Passaic, N. Y., and Paul Duryea Miller 3L of East Chicago, Ind. won the Ames competition finals from the George Gray Club last night. This victory is the most sought-after honor in the Law School and is the goal of a three-year competition among the Law Clubs.

The case was tried at Langdell Hall before a court of three eminent justices. The Rt. Hon. Lyman P. Duff, justice of the Supreme Court of Canada and a member of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, presided. His colleagues were the Hon. Alex, Simpson, Justice of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, and the Hon. Leslie P. Snow, Justice of the Supreme Court of New Hampshire. Their decision came after a conference of less than ten minutes.

The case was a bill in equity in which the winning counsel represented the respondent, the Blanque Minning Company. The complainant, Richard Goodright, was represented by Roger Sherman Foster 3L of St. Paul, Minn., and Charles Winfield Partridge Jr. 3L of Los Angeles, Cal., of the George Gray Club.

The counsel for the complainant asked first for a restrictive decree to stop the Blanque Mining Company in the state of Ames from operations which would allow sand and gravel used in their plant to be desposited on the complainants land in the state of Langdell. Secondly, they asked a mandatory injunction ordering the mining company to remove the sand and gravel already so deposited.

The points of law involved are much disputed by judicial and academic authorities. In winning the decision, Stoffer and Miller stressed chiefly the points that the injury to the complainant was not irreparable, that the difference of jurisdiction were hard to overcome, and that even if there were jurisdiction, under such circumstances a court of equity ought not to exercise it.

The Scott Club representatives had the assistance in the preparation of their brief of Wayland Hayt Elsbree 3L of Preston Hollow, N. Y., Irwin, Seymour Rosenbaum 3L of Cincinnati, O., and Benjamin Isadore Sperling 3L of Wilkes-Barre, Pa. The members of the Gray Club who aided the preparation of the complainant's brief were Thatcher John Kemp 3L of Los Angeles, Cal., and James Carroll Sheppard Jr. 3L of Fullerton, Cal.

The Scott Club's victory marks the third time that if has won the trophy, and makes it a tie with the Kent Club for the largest number of victories. The Scott Club triumphed last year and also in 1921.