TOOLS AND THE MEN

There was an audible rustle of surprise when Professor Lowes announced some time ago that all students in English 72 would be allowed nay requested--to bring with them to the Mid-year examination all the text books and notes they desired. They might transport all of Widener Library to the examination room, if convenient.

The rustle no doubt had an element of pleasurable anticipation in it. On the face of it this announcement appeared synonymous with the promise of a "snap exam". But when the result of a previous test, given on the same principle, was made public; grave doubts arose. It seemed as if the new saddle merely rubbed in another place and, possibly, as if the weight were better distributed.

This is what the new plan tries, in fact, to do. It is meant to obviate the parrot-like acquisition of facts and the repetition of them upon a blue-book. It places a premium on individual thought, and on a more general reading. It gives the advantage to the man who knows where a large mass of information can be found easily, rather than to the man who has practically memorized a smaller mass.

In working for these results Professor Lowes has tried to give the undergraduate a greater chance than he has had before to use the tools which he has gathered. In graduate work of most kinds emphasis is placed on theses, and reports, and individual work done with the aid of these tools. "Research" is little more than original work of the same sort. But if the name "research" were connected with this new system it would sound ominous to the undergraduate. Hence this compromise between the examination and the report is as yet nameless, and has not been widely advertised.

This is true largely because its success is not yet conclusively proved. The "examination" so offered is not one which could be universally applied; for there are many courses which require a more minute knowledge. These--for the most part elementary, or at least fundamental--must remain unaffected by this innovation. Beyond these, in the more general courses even, bluffing becomes easier in the new type of exam. More careful and intelligent reading and correcting of papers is a requisite to it.

If well handled, however, it should accomplish its purpose. It is not a panacea for all the ills of dullness and drudgery. It is more of a tonic to stimulate thought and the growth of new ideas.