HARVARD'S CHIEF TREASURE ON EXHIBITION AT WIDENER

COLLECTION INCLUDES THE FIRST COLLEGE PAPER

The only book which remains of that collection which John Harvard gave almost three centuries ago to found the college library is one of the outstanding features of a group of rarely interesting books which were placed on exhibition yesterday in the Treasure Room of the Library. The exhibition has been arranged by Professor A. O. Norton '89 of the Graduate School of Education to illustrate the history of education.

Included in this group is a book which Professor Norton characterized as "the chief treasure of Harvard College." It contains the report of the earliest recorded meeting of the Harvard Corporation dated 1643. In the middle of the first page of this report there is a rough sketch of the college seal, which was originated at that meeting. Two diaries of University officers in the early eighteenth century, and a book of the body of laws made, for the college in 1734 complete a case of absolutely unique documents.

In another case is a collection of student's lecture notes from the earliest years of the University's existence, and, notably, a copy of "The Telltale," edited by Theophelus Evedropper. The "Telltale" was the first college newspaper in America, published, so the first copy states for the purpose of "promoting right reasoning and good manners."

The exhibition will remain in the Treasure Room throughout the week.