PREDICTS EARLY FALL OF LABOR GOVERNMENT

EXPECTS RUSSIAN SOVIET TO BE RECOGNIZED

"The Labor government will do well it if can stay in office five months," said Dr. R. L. Buell, instructor in Government and tutor in the Division of History, Government, and Economics, to a CRIMSON reporter last evening when asked to comment on the recent party chance in the English government. "It will use this period to convince the British public, notably the laboring public, that a labor majority should be returned.

"The appointment of Ramsay MacDonald as prime minister marks the passing of power from a social and financial aristocracy to the brain and brawn workers of England. At the same time, it is a mistake to believe that a Labor government will be guilty either of illiteracy or of Bolshevik immediateness. The MacDonald cabinet contains more men of brains than any British cabinet. At least six of the 20 members are intellectuals', notably Viscount Haldane, Philip Snowden, Sir Sydney Oliver, and Sidney Webb.

"There is no danger that the Labor party will adopt a radical program. For a majority it must depend upon the Liberals who are therefore in a position to block measures which the rank-and-file Britisher opposes. Ramsay MacDonald's speeches have been marked by moderation. His ministry is not only the first labor one in British history, but he is apparently the first prime minister who has not had previous ministerial experience."

When asked how the change would affect the foreign policy of the nation, Dr. Buell said, "The riddance of Lord Curzon and his 'Egyptian Temples' in the Foreign Office will be worth a great deal to the peace of Europe. The recognition of Russia will probably be one of MacDonald's first acts.

"At present the working classes, as in Birmingham, are not solid for the Labor party. When Mr. MacDonald is voted out, he will probably ask the King for a dissolution and a new election. It is the contention of Mr. Asquith that by virtue of his prerogative, the King has a right to refuse this request, and instead call another prime minister--Mr. Asquith--into office. In view of the unique three-party situation in which Parliament finds itself, Mr. MacDonald has also intimated that the adoption of the Swiss principle of government might be a good thing."

The Swiss method is that when a majority rejects a proposal of the ministry, it should not resign but merely change its policy to meet the wishes of the majority.