PEACE ON EARTH

The annual cry for peace that arises with the opening of the college year his once more begun. A practice that his soon to become a tradition, every year new provisions are made to disseminate anti-chauvinistic feelings among university and college students. This year three universities received the Fidac Peace Medal for "distinguished accomplishment in the cause of peace", and at the same time Columbia has announced a new course in "Education and International Problems and Values" to promote an understanding of the methods of obtaining world peace. And on the heels of this comes the announcement that several American diplomats are convinced that another European war is brewing. They attempt to soften these dire prognostications with the pious opinion that the United States will never be drawn into such a conflict excepting to "protect her honor".

The same futility that has attended all academic discussion of war problems will apparently be the fate of the present optimistic gestures. Italy rattles her sward under the nose of France, who retaliates with ostentatious war games on the Italian border. Germany and Russia too indulge in their share of blustering. From all external appearances, Europe will again be shocked with the news that the cannons are again roaring. The aspect is not a cheerful one, yet it seems inevitable in these times when even disarmament conferences almost and in a war.