STUDENT COUNCIL STATES REASON FOR $5000 DRIVE

WORK IS BEING DONE AMONG 500,000 STUDENTS

The Student Council yesterday announced officially its reasons for approving the drive for $5000 for the relief-of European students, which will be launched on January 7 in all departments of the University. The report read in part:

"The Student Council has denied all requests for contributions to other outside charities, because it seemed most significant and desirable for the University to confine itself to joining other American colleges in the work of maintaining higher education in Europe.

"With the exception of Phillips Brooks House the University is being asked to support no other charity; whereas other colleges have given large sums for many different purposes. Yale recently raised $22,000 for charity; of which $3000 went to the Student Friendship Fund.

"Central and Eastern Europe has lost fully one-third of her skilled technicians, doctors, engineers, agriculturists, etc., during and since the war. Reconstruction awaits the trained leadership of today's students. The condition of these students is physically desperate, and the European Student Relief Association which administers the Fund, is the only agency upon which they can rely for help.

"The money which is collected in the drive will be used entirely in direct relief; the expenses of collection and administration have been subscribed separately. As far as possible, money received from law students will be used to help law students in Europe, and money from all other professional students will be given to similar groups abroad.

"It has been calculated that five dollars will buy in Europe any one of the following items: daily food for 100 students, 40 textbooks, a year's tuition for two students, or a Russian professor's salary for two months."

The work of relief is being carried on in 19 countries among 500,000 students in 200 separate institutions. Since 1920, $229,000 has been spent, and this year an additional $176,000 is requested.