HARK--THE REGISTER!

The University Register is at last on sale. Its belated appearance can probably be explained by unusual difficulties or something of that kind, but it is unfortunately true that by this time of the year its only possible value is as a souvenir. The Catalogue and the Directory have already performed whatever services were necessary; the Register comes out with a great deal of exceedingly interesting information with which everyone is now familiar, but which would have been of the utmost importance in November. And this fardiness of the Register is not a new thing; it may almost be called a habit.

If the Register is to continue to be published--and there is every need for it in the fall--the Student Council which is, after all, responsible for it, ought to insure, not only a first-rate, accurate, interesting Register, which it does, but the prompt publishing and distribution of the Register, in which it now woefully fails. This can be done by abandoning the fall competitions for the Register Board, and appointing an entire Register Board each spring which will be responsible to the Student Council.

The fall conditions, for one thing slow up the publication of the Register; if a complete board of five men were appointed, with their duties separated and distinctly specified, there would be no confusion, no duplication of efforts, no "passing the buck". Three Juniors and two Sophomores, appointed in the spring could perfect their organization before the end of the college year and be prepared to race through the routine of getting out the Register in the fall with the greatest possible speed and efficiency.

Appointment to the Board would of course, be made by the Student Council, and would be based on past records, men who had proved their ability on Freshman Red Books or Sophomore Blue Books men who had learned efficiency and gained experience as candidates for sports managerships naturally would be chosen. And besides the honor which would accrue to the appointees, the profits would be divided as at present among the members of the board, furnishing, if not any particular inducement, at least some compensation for the time taken up.

It must be remembered that the Register is not a game for the delectation of the Board, but a serious publication for the convenience of the University, and as such, it should be conducted by the most business-like, effective, method possible. By the plan proposed here, the best men for the purpose could be obtained. They would know the ropes, know how to work, and understand organization; they would have necessarily, every incentive to get the Register out as quickly as possible. Under such circumstances, the Register would appear in November instead of February and its purpose, now entirely defeated by its tardiness, would be fully accomplished.