A MILLION PLANS FOR PEACE

"We are not born", wrote Goethe, "to solve the problems of the world, but to find out where a problem begins, and then keep within the limits of our grasp". Essentially to discover where the real problem lies Mr. Bok offered his peace prize to American thinkers; and now Mr. Filene follows with a similar offer to European minds. He will give fifty thousand dollors for the best essay from England, Italy and France on a plan to procure world peace.

That discussion and definition is the prime objective of these two offers is admitted by Mr. Bok in the current Atlantic Monthly. "Humanity", so writes the Philadelphia publisher, "has never before in the world after a great war shown a greater desire to outgrown war". What these peace awards are expected to accomplish is to direct this striving to a definite end, to make the individual feel he is a potentiality and can be a peacemaker.

Even before the judges have selected any of the several thousand essays submitted, Mr. Bok can report the success of his offer. Over a quarter of a million of American citizens asked about the plan, every newspaper published several news articles and an editorial on the award. Librarians from all over the country reported an unprecedented demand for books on foreign relations and previous peace-plans. It is easy to predict that Mr. Fliene's offer will produce very much this same result abroad.

But aside from this, and the actual plans which result, the American award many have a peculiar effect upon the American people. It has impressed upon everyone hearing of it the fact that "we are a part of the world, and must play our part in it". And more than turning the individual American mind toward a plan for world peace, the award has made him feel that a direct personal contact can be created between the people of the United States and its legislative and executive governments. If these awards do nothing more than crystal thinking upon the peace problem so that legislators may assure themselves exactly what the people want, they will have served their purpose.