FRESHMAN HOCKEY TEAM SHOWS PROMISE OF POWER

FOUR FOOTBALL VETERANS START IN LINE-UP

In defeating Malden High School 8 to 1 Saturday afternoon, the Freshman hockey team opened its season auspiciously and showed promise of future strength. The ice at the Charlesbank rinks was poor, the opposition was weak and the Crimson team showed the crudeness inevitable in an opening game. Two or three outstanding stars were revealed, however, about whom a formidable combination should be built before the season is far advanced.

There was a decided football tinge to the Harvard line-up. Four of the starting sextet were Freshman football players last fall, and Burke, the goal-tender, was manager of the first-year eleven. Zarakov, at center, is the same brilliant performer on the rink that he was on the gridiron. He scored three goals, and his spectacular length-of-the-rink dash in the second period was the best individual bit of the afternoon. He out-skated the entire Malden team and, catching the net-guardian off balance, drove the puck home. His supporters in the forward line, Hamlen and Scott, both of whom were quarterbacks last fall, also showed up well. Coady, at right defense, should become a star. The weight and speed which aided him so materially in football are equally advantageous in hockey. His ability on the defense was not severely tested Saturday, but his offensive play was excellent.

Dearth of Substitutes a Weakness

The chief weakness of the team was naturally in teamwork. A perfected passing attack could scarcely be expected so early in the season. The first-string forward line did, however, team up cleverly on several occasions. When the reserves entered the game, most of their passes went wild and their scoring efforts were futile. A dearth of experienced substitutes may prove to be a weakness in the team. Gross seems to be the only replacement man of outstanding ability.

The three goal-tenders whom Coach Dempsey tried had little chance to show their skill. Henry, the visitors' right wing, slipped the puck past Burke in the final period, but Malden had few other scoring opportunities. The high school players had had only one day of organized practice. The sole features of their play were the vigorous checking of Captain Endler and several good stops by Donahue at goal.