"REASON NOT THE NEED!"

The path of the undergraduate through college is flanked by thorny expenses and calls for contributions, and within a year or more the average undergraduate has become a fairly "Artful Dodger," especially with regard to contributions to drives. Last night such a drive was begun and those who care to dodge have had ample warning of its approach. Post-Christmas times are hard, of course, but the times of those whom the Student Friendship Fund annually helps are always hard--unbelievably hard.

The record of the work of the organization speaks for itself; the names of the men who serve upon its Advisory Committee add whatever weight is necessary to make up its great prestige. The necessary thing is to convey some how to the undergraduate body the conditions of students in Europe and the peril in which European education now lies. A perusal of the interviews which have appeared and are appearing in the CRIMSON should give some idea of the need for help. In fact anyone who has read anything within the last few years can scarcely remain in doubt upon this point.

Most of the Eastern colleges have already held drives for the Fund. Smith College is initiating one for twenty-seven thousand dollars! Harvard's turn has come and the call has been issued for at least five thousand dollars. With examples of other colleges and of its own past record before it, Harvard should not fail to carry its subscription up and over the top.