MODERN MUSIC DOMINATES THIRD WHITING CONCERT

Violin and Clarinet to be Heard in Recital Today--Will Show Daring Trend of Up-to-Date Music

Modern music will be dominant tonight in the third concert of the Whiting Expositions of Chamber Music. Mr. Arthur Whiting himself will play the pianoforte, assisted by Mr. John Corigliano on the violin, and Mr. Frederick von Amburgh on the clarinet.

The concert, to be given this evening at 8.15 in the Paine Concert Hall at the Music Building, is open free of charge to members of the University, for whom seats on the floor will be reserved. Tickets in the gallery may be purchased by the public.

The program is in three parts. The Brahms Sonata in E-flat for clarinet and piano is said to be Brahms' favorite among all his chamber music. It is of several piano-clarinet pieces which the composer wrote for and dedicated to Carl Muhlfeldt, a celebrated clarinet player. The Cesar Franck Sonata for violin and piano is one of the most effective modern pieces written for that combination.

The dissonances and cross-rhythms of the Strawinsky Suite, "L'Histoire du Soldat", from which Mr. Whiing and his associates will play two selections, are startling, but interesting in showing the trend of the most daring of modern composers. It is an extraordinary example of up-to-date music.