HARADA BEATS WHEELER IN TENNIS TOURNAMENT

KUNKEL BROTHERS REACH SEMI-FINALS ON DOUBLES PLAY

The outstanding event in the progress of the University Tennis Tournament to day was the defeat of G. M. Wheeler 3L, the present holder and defender of the Jackson Cup by T. Harada Sp., champion of Japan in three straight sets 6-4, 6-4, 6-4. Although neither of the contestants were up to their usual form, the match was very fast and brilliant in spots. Wheeler tried to take the offensive from the net, but was forced to resort to different tactics when his nimble opponent succeeded time after time in passing him by well-placed drives down the side lines. Harada has now won the right to play in the final round of the Tournament on Tuesday at 2 o'clock.

Briggs Defeats Davies

No less startling in its outcome was the match between Alden Briggs '25 and J. M. Davies 2G.B. resulting in the defeat of the latter by a score of 6-3, 6-0. Both men were seeded but Davies was No. 2 whereas Briggs was No. 4. Briggs played a very fast and hard-hitting game and earned his victory, in spite of the fact that Davies was not quite up to par. Briggs will meet P. C. Kunkel 11, today in the semi-final round and has a very fair chance of defeating the law student. It should be noted in this connection that Briggs was the only undergraduate to reach the semi-final round of the tournament.

Kunkel Brothers Win

In the doubles L. A. Weisman '26 and L. O. Pratt '26 defeated W. O. Clark 1G. B. and W. S. Clark 1G.B. 6-0, 6-3, but were in turn defeated by the Kunkel brothers 6-3, 6-4, placing them in the semi-final round. On Wednesday the Kunkels will play Harada and Briggs for entrance in the final round of the tournament.

W. W. Ingraham '25 and W. P. Dixon '26 defeated A. F. Case 21, and H. J. Kaltenbach 31, 6-3, 6-4, and followed that victory with another one ever J. F. W. Whitbeck '27 and Parke Cummings '23, thus gaining their way to the semi-final round.