HOTTINGUER GETS FRENCH HONORARY SCHOLARSHIP

CHAPMAN MEMORIAL FELLOWSHIP GOES TO WALFENDER

"Monkey Cages", was the term used yesterday by Phillippe Hottinguer, announced yesterday as the recipient of an honorary scholarship from the Harvard Club of France, to describe the detention quarters at Ellis Island. He was completely disgusted at the treatment he received at the hands of the immigration authorities during an enforced stay there of four days while en route to the University. He berated Ellis Island as an insult to humanity.

Hottinguer, the son of a French nobleman, took his baccalaureate at the Sorbonne in Paris. He will continue higher commercial studies as a special student in the Graduate School of Business Administration.

Wolfender Receive Fellowship

Coincident with the announcement of the Harvard Club of France Scholarship award to Hottinguer came the announcement that two other French youths have received scholarships for study in the University. The fellowship established in 1917 in memory of Victor Emmanuel Chapman '13, who was killed in the world war, will be held this year by a former student at the University of Paris, Jean Walfender, of Aix-les-Bains, Savoie, France, who will continue his mathematical studies in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Marcel Francon, of Lyons, France, licencie of the University of Lyons, who was last year an assistant in chemistry at the University of Paris, is to receive the Harvard Club of France scholarship and study chemistry as a first year student in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Two More Awards Announced

Two other awards have been announced. Two students from Alabama will divide the Harvard Gardner Nichols Memorial Scholarship. They are C. T. Harrison, of Montgomery, and B. I. Harrison, of Tuscaloosa. The former was graduated from the University of Alabama in 1923, and was a teacher last year at Montgomery High School. He will study English at the University. The latter taught for a year at the University of Alabama after being graduated there in 1922, and is now studying Romance Languages.

The Mary Copley Thaw Fellowship for work in the Peabody Museum of American Archaeology and Ethnology has been awarded to H. L. Shapiro '23, of Dorchester, who last year held a Bishop Museum fellowship at Yale for field work and study in the South Seas. He will now return to the University to continue his studies.