WOULD-BE UNION MEMBERS MUST WAIT THEIR TURN

Membership Quota of 2000 Is Reached--Now Impossible to Join--Limited Facilities Force Action

C. P. Fordyce '23, graduate secretary of the Union, announced last night that membership is now closed for the year. The Union membership is limited to 2000, and as this number has been reached it is now impossible for anyone who has not yet signed up to become in active member.

Mead Recommended Action

The decision to curtail the membership was reached by the Governing Board last spring after Mr. J. J. Mead, superintendent, had recommended it. The step was forced by the limited facilities of the Union building.

Those who wish to have their names placed on the waiting list should file applications for membership at either the Bursar's Office or the Union itself. These names will be filed and the applicants notified as soon as it becomes possible for them to take up active membership.

Will Extend Restaurant Service

The Union membership has been continually increasing in recent years, making it absolutely necessary to limite the membership until enlarged eating facilities can be provided, which will not be for a year at least. As soon as possible the restaurant service will be extended to the second floor. But this means the number of men who can be served at meals will be greatly increased. This will permit a larger membership, as it is chiefly the restaurant that is overcrowded at present.

In 1920-1921 the membership was 1900 but at that time the annual fee was only $7.50. The increase of the fee to ten dollars resulted in a decrease in membership to 1543 in 1921-1922. In 1922-1923 an increase of 180 was reported and last year the total reached 1926.