Eddie Morris, Famous Announcer at the Stadium, Reveals Long History of Score Board Signals Invented by Him

Mr. E. G. Morris, known as "Eddie" to Harvard football fans, told a CRIMSON reporter yesterday, that he was the sole originator of the signals used on Soldiers Field, and that he had made them from combinations for Army and Navy signals, and signals used in the Stock Exchange.

The Stock Exchange signals predominate, since Mr. Morris is a broker, but none of his signals are used by any one except himself and three of his colleagues. Mr. Morris said that the board to which the signals are flashed was invented 20 years ago by Mr. A. Erwin, Mr. Morris' connection began 18 years ago, and he has been developing the signals over since. The board and the signals have been copyrighted, and have been sold to three of Harvard's football opponents, Dartmouth, Brown, and Holy Cross.

Mr. Morris and his chief helper have never missed a game since they began the system in the Stadium.

Besides being a broker and a signaller, Mr. Morris does practically all the announcing for athletic events in Boston. His voice never gives out, although he frequently announces five or six afternoons a week and two or three evenings. The Arena is the most difficult place, according to Mr. Morris, in which to announce. The acoustics are extremely bad and Mr. Morris, although he has announced at hockey games for over three years, has never been able to find one spot from which he can reach the entire audience.