ARLINGTON HIGH LEADS 1928 CROSS-COUNTRY MEN

1928 TEAM SHOWS IMPROVEMENT DURING LAST WEEK

The Harvard Freshmen trailed Arlington High School 26 to 30 yesterday in the opening cross-country meet of the season, although A. H. O'Neil '28, former Exeter track captain, led the pack to the tape and won the individual honors for the Crimson. The meet was run over the three-mile Freshman course.

O'Neil was pressed all the way by Eldridge of Arlington, but the schoolboy was unable to catch the victor's final spunt. O'Neil won by about 25 yards in the good early-season time of 18 minutes and 45 seconds. Ralph Luttman '28 gave Eldridge a good battle for second place, but he was unable to close the gap, losing by five yards.

Three Arlington runners crossing the line in a bunch for fourth, fifth, and sixth places ruined Harvard's chances of winning the meet. Perkins of Arlington beat his teammates, O'Neil and Walsh, to the finish. Warren Taylor '28 was close upon this group, finishing a strong seventh.

William King '28, Brown and Merrill of Arlington, and Franklin Jones '28 came in in that order. Brown's arrival in ninth place clinched the meet for Arlington.

Coach Farrell was not perturbed by the failure of his charges to gain the victory. He was on the contrary pleased with their improvement, as in a practice meet with Arlington last week they were badly trounced by the schoolboys.