CHOSEN SENIORS MAY TAKE ONE LESS COURSE

Faculty Cuts Down On Requirements For Fourth-Year Candidates For Degrees With Distinction

A change whereby candidates for a degree with distinction in the University may omit one course in their Senior year has just been announced provided their work in courses and with their Tutors during their first three years at the University has given the Dean reason to believe that the Seniors have the ability and will to secure the degree with distinction, they will be permitted to drop one course from their fourth-year schedule by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

This ruling applies only to those men who are candidates for degrees with distinction in the departments or fields in which a general final examination is required, and who intend to remain in college during four years. However, the student is required to take at least two courses throughout his Senior year.

The privilege will be granted on the recommendation of the Chairman of the Department or Committee under which the candidate is concentrating. The purpose of the ruling is to enable the candidate to do additional work under the direction of his tutor, but the tutor may require the student to attend any lectures or courses that he thinks advisable. If the tutor thinks that the student has not been spending his time profitably during the first half of the last year he may be required to take the usual number of courses in the second half year.