BITTER BATILES ON MANY GRIDIRONS TEST STRENGTH OF EASTERN ELEVENS

Dartmouth-Yale, Princeton-Navy, and Brown-B. U. Games Interest Harvard Men--Several Other Close Contests Promised

This afternoon looms up as one of the biggest mid-October days in football history. Coaches, alumni, and undergraduates throughout the East will find out where their team stand. Dopesters who have been manufacturing their columns out of thin air will find a definite basis for their prognostications.

The old theory that the momentous games in a gridiron schedule do not come until November is passing completely into the discard. A good half dozen contests today have the true "big game" tinge. They have aroused big game enthusiasm and will draw capacity crowds.

Eli Resumes Feud With Dartmouth

Heading the list in point of importance, at least to Harvard eyes, is the Yale-Dartmouth clash at New Haven. Meeting the Elis for the first time in nearly a quarter of a century, Dartmouth has supreme faith in its team. The Big Green eleven has rolled up stupendous totals in its first three starts. When Norwich was snowed under 40 to 0, reports came from Hanover that a championship eleven was in the making. A 52 to 0 walkaway over McGill and a 38 to 0 triumph over Vermont have served to increase Dartmouth confidence.

Indeed, the glow of optimism that pervades the Hanover student-body amounts to over-confidence. Coach Hawley and his assistants do not, however, share this over-confidence. They know, as any clear-headed observer can not help knowing, that the Dartmouth team, potentially powerful though it is, is still untried. A 7 to 6 battle such as Yale had with Georgia does a team more good than a half dozen runaway contests. Dartmouth's scoring machine may fall flat when it meets a stubborn defense for the first time this season.

Wah Hoo Wahs Picked as Favorites

This outcome is hardly expected, however, even by the Elis' strongest partisans. Dooley, Hall, and Leavitt are backfield men who have won their spurs in past campaigns. Oberlander, accounted the best of the four, is a made-over lineman whose ability cannot well be disparaged even though his experience behind the line is limited. The Green line, strong at the flanks with Captain Bjorkman and Tully, is a bit uncertain in the center.

Yale has likewise had trouble with the center of its line. Captain Lovejoy is doing yeoman work at center, but he is flanked by inexperienced guards. The tackles have likewise been a disappointment. Luman and Bingham are probably even better than the Dartmouth pair. It is a certainty that the 70,000 fans who pack the Yale Bowl will see about the best exhibition of end play of the year. The Blue backfield can hardly match the Dartmouth quartet, Bench will be tried again at quarterback. He is a defensive player with few equals and an excellent line-plunger, but whether or not he is a quarterback. He is a defensive player with few equals and an excellent line-plunger, but whether or not he is a quarterback remains to be seen. Pond is the only other really dependable back, although Cottle has shown flashes of power.

Hawley's Men More Experienced

What is likely to prove the deciding factor is the fact that Dartmouth is further advanced than Yale. The extra game and the extra period of practice have given Coach Hawley's men a coordination and a polish that may well prove decisive. Whatever the outcome, it will furnish Harvard followers with their first opportunity to measure the strength of their two most dangerous opponents.

The Princeton-Navy game gives the Tigers a chance to retrieve their lost laurels. Roper's team has suffered in prestige from its spotty showing against Lehigh. Reports from Princeton indicate that the Orange and Black team is far stronger than its showing to date would indicate. Coach Roper resents the idea that his team is doomed to be at the bottom of the Big Three heap.

Fumbles Have Proved Tiger's Jinx

Fumbles have been the Princeton nemesis so far this year, but this weakness has been largely corrected, according to the coaches. It appears that the difficulty has been caused by too hard, high passes from the center. The backfield composed of Slagle, Weeks, Caldwell, and Gibson will be kept intact, although Hull a made over scrub tackle, was given a through trial Thursday. Dinsmore, star Gibson will be kept intact, although Hull, quarter of a year ago, is again in condition after a long illness, but he will probably not play today.

The Navy eleven is not as good as the one that tied Princeton 3 to 3 last year. It bowed to Marquette last week, crumpling completely in the last quarter after leading the enemy for three periods. Princeton looks, however, for sterner opposition than Lehigh furnished, but expects to win. The three upper classes of the Naval Academy 1600 strong, with their famous Navy goat will attend.

Another game of particular interest to Harvard men is the Brown-Boston University fray at Providence. Both of these teams meet the University later in the season. The Brunonians would normally be topheavy favorites, but their injured list includes Captain Sheldon, Eckstein, star center; Stifler, the end who was instrumental in beating Harvard last year; Dixon and Keefer, two of the best backfield men; and others of lesser note. Brown should be the victor, but by a reduced margin.

B. U. is also handicapped by backfield injuries. Harris, Henry, and McDonald, regular ball-carriers, will be non-combatants. Captain, Carlson, Miller, and Worcester are capable of making trouble for the Brown defense.

Bowman versus Darling at Syracuse

Other games of general interest include Boston College's invasion of Syracuse, in which two great backs, Darling and Bowman, will vie for honors. The Eagles showed poor football even in trouncing Fordham Monday. Unless the tendency to infringe the rules is corrected, Syracuse should be materially helped by penalties.

Knute Rockne's much touted Notre Dame team comes east a favorite over West Point in their contest at the Polo Grounds. Percy Haughton's Columbia team has a hard afternoon in store with Pennsylvania, and Rutgers can hardly expect to beat Cornell, even though Williams handed the Ithacans a defeat last Saturday.

ONE GUESS ON TODAY'S GAMES! WHAT IS YOURS?

Dartmouth 14, Yale 7.

Princeton 17, Navy 3.

Brown 21, Boston University 0.

Syracuse 14, Boston College 10.

Notre Dame 28, Army 7.

Pennsylvania 17, Columbia 7.

Cornell 21, Rutgers 0.