LIMPING FRESHMEN YIELD TO GREAT EXETER TEAM

CRAWFORD AND NORDBERG SHINE FOR CAMPBELL'S TEAM

A 14-0 defeat was administered to the disabled Freshman football squad by Exeter last Saturday. The score differs by but one point from the Andover game of the previous week, but the improvement in the 1928 team was noticeable. The first half ended with a scoreless tie and the contest promised to be a close one to the final whistle.

In the third, period, however, disaster began to overtake Coach Campbell's eleven, when Ellis, the schoolboy quarterback who established a lasting reputation when he dashed through the entire Dartmouth Freshman team for the lone tally of Exeter's initial game, repeated his early season performance and sprinted 55 yards for a touchdown. Again in the final period Exeter scored on a 20-yard advance to the goal line.

Offensively the Freshmen were far from inactive. Once near the beginning of the game they carried the ball close to the Exeter goal but failed to put it over. Nordberg and Crawford did particularly notable work, smashing through the Exonian line and making substantial gains around the outposts. The schoolboys outrushed the Crimson nearly three to one, averaging 4.6 yards per rush to 1.7 for the 1928 eleven. Costly fumbles also hurt the Harvard team's chances.

Saturday's test was perhaps the severest one the Freshmen could have had. Exeter graduates look to see another such team as those on which were Coach Jones of Yale and Coach Casey of Tufts. Against this already famed combination Coach Campbell had to pit practically his second line-up, most of what would normally constitute the first being ont he doctor's list.

The summary:

Harvard 1928  ExeterFordyce l.e.  r.e. O'ConnellSimonds, Carrillo l.t.  r.t. GriggsMorris, Callahan l.g.  r.g. Porter, LanzilloBell, Fenwick c.  c. Bell, WrightGregg, Norris, Tripp r.g.  l.g. DewingPratt, Merrill r.t.  l.t. Byron, Simmons, Eddy, SwedeMurchie, Saltonstall r.e.  l.e. Downey, Mahoney, SwedeCrawford q.b.  q.b. O'Connell, Gore, EllisGallwey l.h.b.  l.h.b. Brandenberg, LuceNordberg, Cozzens r.h.b.  r.h.b. Allen, Acker, CollettCrosby f.b.  f.b. Batchelder, Thompso