NOCTURNAL SQUASH

As summer is left farther and farther behind the demand on the squash courts grows. The constantly increasing popularity of squash racquets threatens to make the present University facilities entirely inadequate, and some measure for improving them must undoubtedly claim attention soon.

Keeping the squash courts open during the evening would practically double their capacity, without necessitating any change in the existing plant. Some slight extra expense would be incurred. Another attendant might be found necessary; yet this expense is nothing in proportion to the benefits derived. It might even be defrayed by a charge on the use of the courts after seven o'clock, a charge which would be practically nominal.

Evening exercise has proved successful in athletic clubs and Y. M. C. A.'s all over the country. It is said that physical fatigue prevents mental exertion, but that mental fatigue is relieved by physical exertion. If this is true, no more pleasant recreation could be found after a day's study, than a strenuous game of squash topped off by a cold plunge.