Quaint Pamphlet Relates Early History of Oldest Musical Organization in U.S.

How the oldest existing musical organization in America began its existence at Harvard is related in a pamphlet entitled "The Early History of the Pierian Sodality of 1808," which has recently been sent to every Sodality alumnus in the country whose address is known, by the Pierian Sodality Alumni organization. The pamphlet reprints the article by the courtesy of the Harvard Graduates' Magazine, which contained the article in the March issue of 1908 on the occasion of the centennial anniversary of the Pierian Sodality.

The records of the Pierian Sodality, written by many a brave secretary, show that "at a meeting held on the 6th of March, 1868, by a number of students of Harvard University, they unanimously agreed to institute a society for their mutual improvement in instrumental music, to be denominated Pierian Sodality. A few days later laws were composed, and within a month serenading had been begun. On March 6, 1809, the first anniversary was celebrated. After the election of officers the members adjourned to Mr. Morse's where they partook of a most excellent supper. After the meal a number of very appropriate songs were sung and toasts drunk. The greatest order and harmony were observed during the entertainment; when the members retired to their chambers their conduct was such as did honor to themselves and the Society to which they belong."

Gave "Handsome Performance"

In the early days of its history the society used to gather on the steps of University Hall and give the whole college "a specimen of handsome performance."

On December 10, 1833, the society met and organized a Glee Club. This club, which is the direct ancestor of the present University Glee Club, was used at serenades and in Yard concerts, and sang with such success that on one occasion a gentleman was heard to express his opinion from a window, say-it was "Demnition swanlike."

The Sodality had some trouble with other clubs, notably the competition with the Arionic Sodality, which came into being in 1813. The two clubs had the same interests, but the matter was settled through diplomacy, and the Arionic Sodality became extinct. Occasionally the records mention other clubs which still exist. In June, 1844, two members cut rehearsals as they preferred to attend a cat-fight in the Phi Beta Kappa rooms."

Gave Many Public Exhibitions

The Pierian became so popular that it was asked to perform at Exhibitions, general convocations for the giving out of scholarships. They took place about twice a year in the Chapel in University Hall, and were attended by the public in the records of the Sodality appear many accounts of these exhibitions. On April 30, 1811, the Society performed at the public Exhibition "with honor to themselves, and to the satisfaction, entertainment and gratification of an unusually numerous, respectable, brilliant, and cheerful auditory, of which the fair of our land were by far the most delightful and active part,--who warmed the cold with their beauty, encouraging the timid by the expressive sweetness of their countenances, and rewarded us musicians by their approving smiles.--'Who that hath a heart, is free from vanitye?'" On another occasion the music was not up to the usual standard because "the Ladies, whom the club principally wishes to serve, the premium mobile of our music, were few in number."

Made Preacher Hustle

On a certain Exhibition day the audience was assembled. "When the square cap, and flowing robes of Jared Sparks were seen in the distance, the soul-inspiring 'Kuffer' was struck up immediately causing the worthy gentleman to start in a run for the pulpit. For the same performance we received the approval of Professor Peirce and Child. On the other hand we were damned by the New York Herald, from whom censure is an honor, and praise a blot."

The practice of serenading, which began a month after the foundation of the society, was kept up for 50 years until the custom was dropped by the society. On June 22, 1820 "we serenaded almost every pretty girl in Boston, and returned at daybreak." Again Dr. Holmes was serenaded. The Pierian was invited in, and was surprised at the assembly of youth and beauty, "took an affectionate farewell, and many a longing, lingering look was sent back upon many a swimming eye." On a third occasion Judge Fay was serenaded. "We discoursed most eloquent music, much said, Let us go. And behold we went to the city of the Philistines, and did serenade their daughters, and came home about the third hour. And the fame of the Pierians did wax exceedingly great, and did reach the places round about Cambridge.

The Sodality, whose members termed themselves "the few who were chosen to represent the Muses on Earth," often supped together at Willard's, the Cambridge Bar; and at Porter's Tavern, learning to choose between cheap ale and "Real old London Particular."

In 1933 the Pierian will celebrate its one hundred and twenty-fifth anniversary (the same year that the Harvard Glee Club celebrates its centennial). The organization of Pierian Alumni hopes by that time to have a membership of one thousand, an alumni orchestra, and alumni quarters in Cambridge.