"WHAT EVERY WOMAN KNOWS" STILL CHARMS

Barrie's Comedy at Copley as Produced by E. E. Clive and Company Revives Memories of Maude Adams

Barrie, of late maligned and accused of being saccharine and treacly-minded toward the general, is still to be contended with. On every evening of this week one may discover that "What Every Woman Knows" is still worth knowing and that this fourteen-year-old play has lost none of its sparkle and gayety, but is quite as droll and unspoiled as it was when Maude Adams mourned over her lack of "Charrum". It's a braw, bonnie show and how capitally the Copley forces do it!

May Ediss Breaks Into Headlines

Miss Ediss not only succeeds in being "charruming", but presents the most amazing resemblance to her predecessor in the role. Perhaps, as Alick Wylie said, it was the curls. How painful was the concern of the three brothers over their sister. Why could not Maggie marry? And how gleeful were they when the luckless John Shand, student at Edinburgh, fell into their cluches and was bound to wed Maggie in return for his schooling.

Play Filled With Little Thrills

Havers! Havers! How great was Maggie's pride on the night of John's election to Parliament and the announcement of his wedding. How it pulled at the heart hawsers to hear Maggie harangue the crowd as "My Constituents!"

Because she was Maggie, John, the colossal dumb-bell, became famous; because she was Maggie she never let him know it. Because he was John, he fell in love with a costly piece of aristocratic millinery; because he was the husband of a genius, he was saved from his own folly.

"Damned Charm Does It"

How we longed to pummel the thick headed Shand. But she knew, she knew what every woman knows. Sentimental drivel? Nonsense. We expect to weep openly and copiously whenever we please. As one of her brothers puts it: "It's that damned charm that does it."

Though to Miss Ediss as Maggie Wylie belonged the honors of the evening, perhaps the best work was done by Mr. Clive, Mr. Mowbray and Mr. Hulse as the three brothers. Though slow in getting started, Mr. Buckler as the dunder-headed hero finished well. But Miss Standing, the noble damsel who enchanted Mr. Shand was not too enchanting. One wondered--but, Havers! Havers