THE END IS NOT YET

Dr. W. J. A. Balley, an American physicist, has discovered a "radiendocrine treatment" for old age which promises greater success than the gland operations of less recent fame. Failure of the endocrine, or ductless, glands to supply their secretions in sufficient quantity is believed the cause of senescence, and by a new type of radiation they are stimulated to normal functioning. Dr. Herman Rubin says of the new discovery: "I have had the pleasure of using this newer method of radiation in about three hundred cases, and I have effected true rejuvenescence of cell structure in every case treated. . . . For how long a period life can be extended, no one knows. It is sufficient for the present that by reinvigorating the cell, we can turn back the hands of time."

Another American doctor is reported to have discovered a truth serum, scopolamin-apomorphia, whose use makes it impossible to lie or cheat. Whether or no, the truth will out. Both of these discoveries point the same way. Gamaliel Bradford sees the end when he writes:

"The splendid sweep my fancy takes

Wide over sea and land,

Also my various mistakes,

Are all my thyroid gland."

Nothing can any more be called impossible. The mirage of Ponce de Leon may be real after all, and a mere stop in a larger scheme. Daedalus and learus were myths until the Wright brothers clothed them in fact. And Julos Verne in his day was thought a spinner of idle fancies. Who knows but Karel Capek may prove a seer, and President Lowell realize his dream of "synthetic Freshmen"?