DUNKER RETURNS TO FOOTBALL LINE-UP

But Team A Shows Slovenly Offense and Is Clearly Outclassed by Scrubs--Stafford in Quarterback Berth

Whether the Tiger can pounce on a careless Crimson team and crush it as did the Hanoverians a few days ago depends on this and next week's practice. The Orange and Black Tiger is already preparing himself for a desperate spring on the University in less than two weeks.

But Harvard has another obstacle to cross in the form of Boston University, before it meets its ancient rival. From a point of view of points scored, B. U. has not had an impressive record this season, but it has come up against more than ordinary opposition. Following its victory over Maine at the opening game, it has lost to Holy Cross, Brown, and West Point.

Stiff Scrimmage Yesterday

Yesterday, the first day of practice since the Dartmouth encounter saw one of the most strenuous scrimmages of the year. At the close of the afternoons work two impressions stood out above the rest. One was the fact that the scrubs distinctly outplayed the Crimson combinations, and the second was the initial appearance of Dunker in action since his confinement in the Infirmary with an attack of diphtheria four and a half weeks ago.

The veteran guard played during the majority of the 45-minute scrimmage, being relieved only for a short period by C. H. Bradford. Although he undoubtedly will not be able to play much of the time next Saturday, and may not even be allowed to start the game, he will probably appear in the line-up before the B. U. battle is over.

Robb and Chase served at the ends yesterday, Greenough and Lindner at the tackles, Dunker and Hoague at the guards, and Holder at center. Howe,

Puffer, Maher, and Stafford at quarter-back, composed the backfield. Substitutions were very frequent. Hitch and Dean played ends for a while, Taylor, Coady, and Nash tackles, C. H. Bradford and Laimbeer guards, and Adie center. McGlone, Braden, and Brown replaced three of the original backs, but Maher was kept in the whole time.

Offensively the Crimson team was slovenly and dull. When it tried to break through the scrub line, it was powerless. Not until the last few minutes of play did Coach Fisher's eleven score a first down.

On the other hand the scrubs put up a brilliant drive and a stonewall defense. On one occasion they carried the ball from their own ten-yard line all the way to the University's 20-yard line, and only lost possession of the ball there through the arbitration of the coaches. During the whole of this 70-yard march the blackshirt forwards forced aside the Crimson linemen to make way for a charging back with what might almost be called case. The hero of the advance was Sayles, who repeatedly tore off eight or ten yards at a time.

Team A Scores Once

Later in the scrimmage the University forwards rushed through the seconds and blocked a punt on the latter's six-yard line. On the fourth down Braden landed on top of a pile of players with the ball directly over the goal line, and scored the lone tally of the three-quarter hour scrimmage.

The injured squad has grown slightly as a result of the grueling battle fought last Saturday, but no one is so seriously hurt that he will not be available for use if necessary for the B. U. invasion. Gehrke, Zarakov, and Cheek were the only members who did not appear at all. All three are expected to return within a day or two. Hammond, Rogers, La Farge, and Samberski were present on the side lines, dressed in civilian clothes. Theopold and Miller ran through signal practice, but kept out of the scrimmage