CUMMINGS FALLS BEFORE WHITBECK IN NET TOURNEY

Former Interscholastic Champion Provides First Startling Upset of University Tennis Tournament

The defeat of Parke Cummings '25 yesterday, one of the eight seeded men in the University tennis tournament, by J. F. Whitbeck '27, former interscholastic champion, was the first startling upset of the tournament. The match was harder contested than the score of 6-3, 6-4 indicates, Cummings drawing out almost every game to deuce.

Plans as now arranged call for the playing off of the semi-final round of the tournament on Thursday afternoon on Divinity Courts, with Coach Cowles as referee. The final round will be played the following Tuesday, also on Divinity Courts.

Today W. L. Coleman 2L, will meet Bernard Bandler '26, the winner to play G. M. Wheeler 2G.B. for entrance into the semi-final round. T. Harada Sp.1, the Japanese Davis Cup star, will play R. J. Kunkel 8L, for the right to play in the semi-final round. J. F. Whitbeck '27, will now play H. J. Kaltenbach 3L., and the winner of this match will come up against P. C. Kunkel 3L, for admission into the semi-final round. The fourth bracket is behind schedule Stephen Thompson '27, has not yet played Alden Briggs '26, not has T. O. Kingsbury '27 yet met J. M. Davies 2G.B. in the second round of the tournament. However, this discrepancy will be remedied today and the semi-finals will be played off on schedule.