UNIVERSITY PRESS GIVES OUT NEW LIST OF BOOKS

Professor Haskins Publishes Book on Mediaeval Science With Material Taken Entirely From Manuscripts

The Harvard University Press, in its autumn catalogue, has announced a diverse collection of new books to be published toward the end of October.

In contrast with the serious trend of the majority of the publications is a collection of familiar essays, called "Getting a Laugh." The essays are by Prof. Grandgent '83 who makes them have a delightfully whimsical and humorous touch.

Among the most interesting publications will be reprints of two seventeenth century pamphlets, which have recently been found in the Lincoln Cathedral Library. "The Pilgrimage of Robert Langton" is the name of the first, while the second is "A most Friendly Farewell to Sir Francis Drake," by Henry Robarts. These editions will be limited to 755 copies apiece.

Haskins Publishes Book

From a scholastic point of view, one of the most important books is one by Prof. C. H. Haskins A.M. '08, "Studies in the History of Mediaeval Science." This volume consists of four parts, the first treating on the science of the Arabs, the second on the science of the Greeks during the twelfth century, the third on the science of the Sicilian court of Frederick II, and "finally a group of miscellaneous scientific interests." The material has been collected entirely from manuscripts, and the book opens up a new field of historical research.

Material From German Foreign Office

Another book about history is Prof. R. H. Lord's '06, on the "Origin of the War of 1870." This book presents for the first time material gathered from the archives of the German Foreign Office.

Some of the other books are "The Sense of Immortality," by Philip Cabot '94, "The Philosophy of Character," by Edgar Pierce '92, and "A Present Day Conception of Mental Disorders" by C. H. Campbell.