America First

Communication

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

A short while ago a gentleman writing to the CRIMSON made the ugly statement that "many would vote for La Follette because of a dislike of mediocrity".

Passing over the fact that this is the sort of "mud" which the so-called Progressive throws every day, I should like to show the further fallacies of the statement.

For President this year two unusually good men have been nominated. Mr. Davis has a distinguished record as a diplomat and lawyer; he is a man who may truly be termed "international". But, though a most popular figure himself, he has had the misfortune of having Charles W. Bryan as a running mate and the Democratic party as a supporter--two facts which he, as well as his friends,--knows to be unfortunate and counter-balance his personal popularity.

Mr. Coolidge has been accused of many things which are in reality the fruits of President Harding's Administration, but which he even then handled with tact and firmness. He opposed the Bonus Bill strongly, and as strongly supported Preparedness, actions which have won him general admiration. Certainly he is not a genius; equal certainly is he the conservative, level-headed man which the country needs today.

Opposed to these men in every respect, is La Follette. Much has been said of what he will do--very little--or nothing--of what he has done. In the war his record as a pacifist and obstructionist was comparable to that of William Randolph Hearst. He voted for the despicable Bonus Bill for the same mercenary reasons as did the other renegade Republicans and Democrats. In doing this he joined those who defeated the wise plan of Secretary Mellen to lower the country's taxes. He is said to represent the American farmer--his real supporters are dissatisfied German, Polish, and Swedish farmers of the Northwest. In no respect does he, represent the real American farmer in New England or the Middle West.

Were he elected, we should have a second Macdonald regimes a government controlled in large measure by Rolshevik Russia. None will deny that this would be most undesirable, if not fatal.

In short Mr. Davis and Mr. Coolidge represent America and are Americans not so La Follette. Consequently, with all our errors, let us at least remember to have a loyal American as president and an administration--such as we have today--with the able men of the country in it. G. D. DEBEVOISE '26.