ENGLISH ISSUES

The threatened fall of the British Labor ministry has been postponed for a few days or a few months by the successful hurdling of the Irish bill to provide a commission to adjust the boundary between Ulster and the Free State. The Conservatives hoped to force the resignation of Premier MacDonald's government, and the overwhelming acceptance of this bill shows that the Irish question has at last been removed at least from the vicissitudes of partisan politics. Parliament has found a unified course, a fixed attitude which England will hold vis-a-vis with her new dominion.

The Conservatives have decided to wait the test of strength until the vote of censure next Wednesday. Or, falling that, as they will unless supported by Asquith's failing Liberals, they will wait until the Anglo Russian treaty comes up in November. Mr. Asquith's stand against the proposed Russian treaty may force him to throw down the Labor government this week, but the evident Liberal weakness in the recent by elections may induce him to refrain from forcing a general election at present especially since Premier MacDonald would certainly place the issue before the electors.

The English Labor Party was the first of the neo-liberal groups to gain control in the victorious countries of western Europe, and the fate of this government at the bands of the newly reassembled Parliament and at the ballots of the voters in the inevitable election is of special import to the chances of Herriot and also, indirectly, to the prospects of Senator Robert M. La Follete.