LIBERALS HEAR STRIKE LEADER

Praises La Follette At Progressive Club Meeting in Union

Mr. George Fechtner of the Machinists' Union of New England, a leader in the recent strike at Waltham, addressed the La Follette-Wheeler club last night in the Faculty Room of the Union, and declared that the present progressive political movement is a manifestation of an age-old struggle of the common people to secure better and larger lives for themselves.

"This campaign has produced no new issues", said Mr. Fechtner.

La Follette's attitude towards the past administration was expressed by Mr. Fechtner as follows: "I feel that anyone in authority, who knows of a wrong, and who does not put a stop to it, thereby assumes responsibility for the wrong himself."

After the address, Mr. Fechtner explained in a short interview the workman's point of view in the Waltham strike, of which he was a leader. "During the past two years", said Mr. Fechtner, "the wages have been reduced 40 percent. When it was announced that there would be a further 10 percent reduction, the workers, though unorganized, universally struck."

Mr. Fechtner concluded by saying that any wage reduction led to a bad economic situation, since with less money the people bought fewer commodities, thereby creating a "vicious circle"