TENNIS TOURNEY REACHES SEMI-FINAL BRACKET

DOUBLES ALSO PROGRESSES AS FAR AS THIRD ROUND

Three of the places in the semi-final round of the University Singles Tennis Tournament were filled yesterday by T. Harada 1Sp., who defeated R. J. Kunkel 3L., 6-1, 6-2; P. C. Kunkel 2L., who defeated J. F. W. Whitbeck '27, 6-0, 6-2, and G. M. Wheeler 2G.B., who defeated W. L. Coleman 2L., 6-1, 12-10. The fourth place will go to the winner of the Davies-Briggs match, which is scheduled for today. The matches yesterday were of increased interest due to the fact that it was the first time that the seeded players have clashed.

Kunkel Outplays Whitbeck

The match between Kunkel and Whitebeck was marked by long rallies and brilliant shots. Kunkel clearly outplayed his opponent throughout, outdoing himself in different shots and pickups. Whitbeck was steady but lacked the ability to take the offensive. He could not cope with the speed of his opponent's attack. Kunkel took the first set 6-0. In the next set, Whitbeck tried to subdue Kunkel's flashy playing by careful placement, but he was able to secure but two games.

The match between Wheeler and Coleman hinged largely on the prowess of endurance of the two contestants. Coleman, in the second set, who had taken the first set 6-1, finally won the second 12-10.

T. Harada 1Sp., the Japanese Davis Cup star, defeated R. J. Kunkel 6-1, 6-2, without difficulty.

The fourth place in the semi-final bracket will be filled when Alden Briggs '25 and J. M. Davies 2G.B. meet today. The semi-final round will proceed tomorrow.

Harada and Briggs have reached the semi-final round in the doubles. The rest of the places are yet to be determined.

Whitbeck and Parke Cummings '25 have reached the third round. So have L. H. Gordon '27, Freshman captain, and P. M. Lenhart '27, who defeated J. McC, Roots '25 and E. M. Upjohn '25, 3-6, 6-2, 6-1. Wheeler and Davies also reached the third round by defeating W. T. Smith '26 and G. D. Debevoise '26, 6-1, 6-0.