FRESHMAN IS WINNER IN UNIVERSITY WHERRY RACE

M. DeW. Howe '28 Conscripted to Row Against Upper Class Men--Shows Way to Finish Line

Hair raising finishes featured the final races of the Fall Regatta held yesterday. All of the events were won by the narrowest of margins and in record-breaking time.

E. R. Stabler '26 won the finals of the University Singles in 3 minutes flat. Lendon Snedeker '25 was only three-fourths of a length behind the winner. Over a slightly shortened course Theodore Frothingham '27 won the University Broad Compromise race. He covered the distance in 3 minutes and 15 seconds.

Freshman Wins University Race

The number of entries in the University Wherry race was so small that the officials in charge of the Regatta conscripted one Freshmen oarsman to make the race more interesting. He rowed, and won. M. DeW. Howe '28 has the honor of being the first Freshman ever to win the University Wherry Race.

Pair-oared Race Gives Thrills

The University Pair-oared Race was the most thrilling event on the entire afternoon's program. There were four entries, all composed of University squad men. Rowing over an unknown course in front of Newell Boathouse Barrett Scudder '27 and Geoffrey Platt '27 led the field, winning in 2 minutes and 11 seconds. R. H. Ames '25 and W. K. Rice '27 were less than half a length behind.

A team composed of S. B. Kelley '25, captain of the University Crew, and J. P. Hubbard '26, got off to a bad start, but managed to make up almost all the distance they lost later in the race. At the finish they were only a length behind the leaders and were gaining rapidly.