PARTIES, MEN, AND PLATFORMS

"What's the idea in dragging the League of Nations into politics again?" demand the opponents of American participation in that organization. "The election of 1920 settled that once for all."

"Nothing is settled once for all", reply its advocates, "and the seven million majority in 1920 only showed that American politics consist mostly of parties and personalities".

The election of 1924 is well on its way to reaffirm this conclusion, but for the time being platforms also figure in the minds of both voter and candidate. Mr. Coolidge, through his advocacy of the World Court, Mr. Davis, in his plea for a plebiscite on American membership in the League, and Mr. LaFollette, in condemning outright every international organization of governments--all recognize that the League is not a "dead issue."

Few people in the United States know whether the League has done anything, and if so, what. Many consider that it has failed entirely. Professor Manley O. Hudson of the Law School has watched its workings from the inside as member of the legal section of the League Secretariat, and from him the University will hear the facts tomorrow evening.