"DECLARATION OF MUSICAL INDEPENDENCE" HAS COME

HIS OPERA SCHOOL AT STONY POINT PAVES WAY

"America's Declaration of Musical Independence", is the light in which Mr. Max Rabinoff, views his Stony Point School of American Opera. According to Mr. Rabinoff who spoke in the Music Building yesterday, the time has arrived for the country to develop a distinctively American type of operatic music, and he proposes to assist materially in its production at his school at Stony Point on the Hudson.

"This is the psychological moment for the development of American Music," said Mr. Rabinoff. "The chaos in Europe has made available in this country for the first time men of first class musical talents." He spoke particularly of one man, a famous Russian conductor, whom he had offered $3500 a week before the war in a vain effort to get him to come to this country. This same man is now living from hand to mouth in Berlin, willing to offer his immense talents to anyone who will give him enough to live on.

Mr. Rabinoff's school will provide a place where American talent may be developed without suppression or interference from foreigners. Music Students will be given an impartial trial and an opportunity for free study if their talents warrant it. From the talent which he will secure in this way. Mr. Rabinoff will develop an opera-company which will tour the country, presenting grand opera at popular prices. From these concerts he expects enough funds to be secured to make the institution self supporting.

The school has already begun the collection of a large library which will contain records of the music of every country in the world. In this library, and in a museum of stage art which is to be in connection with it, artists and composers may find practically any information they wish about music and subjects related to the opera.