P.B.K. PICKS DUNKER AS FIRST MARSHAL

Milde in Charge for the Year--Work Is Advising Rather Than Cramming All Students Behind in Studies

The first meeting of members of the Phi Beta Kappa Society held in Dean Greenough's office Wednesday night resulted in the election of Henry Traugott Dunker '25 of Davenport, Iowa, as first marshal and Howard Parker Sharp '25 of Pittsburg, Pa, as second marshal, Mr. Sharp is at present the secretary of the society. The marshals will be in charge of the various meetings during the year.

At the meeting it was also decided to continue the Tutoring Bureau which was a feature of the activities of the fraternity last year. The Tutoring Bureau will advise and assist students satisfactorily to carry their college studies, but will not be maintained as a competitor of the Tutoring Schools around the square. It wil be for the student who is having trouble with his daily work, and will make members of the society accessible to such men for giving advice. The Bureau is not for the student who wants intensive cramming before an examination. W. J. Milde '25 will be in complete control of the activities of this work.

The names of the 30 men who will be selected this fall will not be announced until after the second meeting of the society next Monday afternoon.

To Hold Dinners Monthly

The first dinner of the Society will be held in December and during the year other dinners are held in the Society's rooms, prominent members of the faculty being invited as guests and speakers. The graduate members of the fraternity also held several dinners during the year. Monday of Commencement Week is set aside as Phi Beta Kappa Day, and is the occasion for literary exercises which are always of first rank in scholarly value. Such men as Ralph Waldo Emerson 1821, Oliver Wendell Holmes '61. Henry Wadsworth Long-fellow '59 (hon.), have read poems at these meetings. There have been addresses and orations by many prominent men among whom are Edward Eyerett 1811, Joseph Story 1798, Charles Sumner '30, Charles Francis Smith '56, James Bryce '67 (hon.), and Charles William Ellot '53.