CURTAIN TO RISE ON HOCKEY NEXT WEEK

University Squad to Use Boston Arena Ice Five Times a Week--1928 Season Waits for Natural Ice

Hockey will step upon the stage deserted by football next week, when a general meeting will inaugurate the University season.

All candidates, except those men who because of football or soccer have been excused until December 8, will be expected to report on Monday afternoon, November 24, at 4.30 o'clock at the Boston Arena. No preliminary meeting will be held this year as has hitherto been the custom, according to Manager J. G. Cushman '25.

Coach Edward L. Bigelow '21, who captained the University team in his senior year, declared that the reason the team is being called out so early this year is because he desires to make a special point of testing every candidate thoroughly and giving every man a fair chance to prove himself.

Winsor and Claflin Advise

Alfred Winsor '02 and W. H. Claflin '15, both of whom have coached successful University teams, will act this year In an advisory capacity. The goal tenders will again be under the supervision of G. W. Canterbury '01 and J. I. Wylde '17.

The management has announced that men should bring all the equipment that they have on Monday afternoon and be prepared to go right on the ice. For those who are not fully equipped there will be some limited provisions made but it was stated that there was very little Athletic Association apparel left over from last year.

The Athletic Association has renewed its contract with the arena of last year. By this arrangement it is expected that the team will have possession of the ice from 2 to 5 on Monday and Wednesday afternoons and in addition will have a one hour practice period on Tuesdays, Thursday and Fridays. There will be no hockey season tickets sold by the Athletic Association this year, it was said yesterday, since they were not sufficiently popular last year to warrant a continuance of the plan. Mr. C. F. Getchell declared, however, that in a short time he would announce a new plan that he has under consideration which will supplant the season ticket system.

Start Manager Competition

The competition for second assistant manager, which is open only to Sophomores, will start with a meeting for all candidates at the Athletic Association on Monday at 1.30 o'clock. The Freshman managership competition will not open until approximately two weeks later.

The Freshman hockey season will not start until there is natural ice on the Charlesbank rinks. Justin R. Dempsey '23, who coached last year's champion Freshman sextet, will return from the West in time to take charge of the 1928 squad, if his present plans mature.