ANCIENT SCRIBE HAD JOURNALISTIC TOUCH

Poem Tells How Crowd Cheered as Captains Led Teams on Field--Had Many Modern Accoutrements of Game

"Beatsly furie", liquor, and Romance, spelled with a capital R, have been as sociated with football in its five hundred years of development. A more imaginative scribe has stated that the Romans played football but to this rumor there appears to be little foundation. The Romans did have a game which they played by standing around in a circle, and throwing four balls around at the same time, but this would appear to be more closely related to juggling than football.

Investigation has disclosed that football is first mentioned in the English language, exactly five hundred years ago. In 1424 we find the following: "The King forbiddes no man play at the fut ball and be payne of it."

Became Butt of Reformers

At the beginning of the sixteenth century football had attracted so much, public attention as to be the subject of scathing criticism and violent denunciation. In 1531 Sir Thomas Elyot in his "Boke named the Governour" defined the sport as follows:

"Foote balle, wherein there is nothinge but beastly furie and exstreme violence, whereof proceedeth hurte, and consequently rancour and malice do remayne with thym that be wounded, whereof it is to be put in perpetual silence."

Played Under Charles II

It was during the reign of Charles II that football was first mentioned in connection with a university. It took such a hold on the student body of Cambridge that the faculty found it necessary to make it the subject of a decree. In the register of Magdalene College of Cambridge University the following extract appears under the date 1679:

"That no scholars give or receive at any time any treat or collation upon account of ye football play, on or about Michaelmas Day, further than Colledge beere or ale in ye open halle to quenche their thirsts. And particularly that that most vile custom of drinking and spending money--Sophisters and Freshmen together--upon ye account of making or not making a speech at that football time be utterly left off and extinguished."

In 1720 there was published at Dublin a full and lengthy account of a football match, presumably played in or near that city. The author, Michael Concannen, did not confine himself to any mere description of the game, however. Since he was writing in verse he found it necessary to include much romance and passion in his tale, after the fashion of present day scenario writers. He wishes it clearly understood that the "Brickleys" and "Mahans" of his day did not play so much "for the honor of the school" as they did for their "Norahs" and their "Floras."

The poem is entitled "A Match at Football", in three Cantos. It describes a match played between the team of Lusk, the Champions of Ireland, and the Soards. It is remarkable how similar is this account of a football game played two centuries ago to our modern newspaper's description of a game. The account in true journalistic style starts off with a description of the crowded "Stadium" and its setting. Then the team comes running on the field, led by Captain Terence. It seems that even a University band attended this primitive match in the person of one "Ventoso", a piper. Before the game starts "Hobbinol", undoubtedly an ancestor of Eddie Morris, comes on the field and announces the match, the contestants, and the line-ups. Then there follows to all intents and purposes a play by play account.

"The Distant Sun, now shoots a feeble Ray,

And warms with fainter Beams, the fading Day,

Now Cooler Breezes, fan the Sultry Glade,

And Waving Trees project a longer Shade,

When on a wide Extent of Level Ground,

Which spreading Groves and rising Hillocks bound,

The Num'rous Crowd, with wonder and delight

At once Confound, and entertain the fight."

The Team Comes on the Field

"When Lo! Six Men of Soards (a goodly sight)

Their Active Limbs, all loosely Clad in White

Move towards the Barrier with a Sprightly Pace,

A joyful Pride, fat Smiling on each Face,

A Crimson Ribband, trim'ly ty'd behind,

Hung from each Cap, and wanton'd in the Wind."

They Are Led by Captain Terence

"Young Terence led the Van, a blither Swain,

All that he hopes his Labours to be-

Is from bright Norah one approving Smile."

What positions each man played is not made clear. There probably were no assigned berths. The Soards had six men, as is mentioned above. These were Terence, the Captain, Darby, John, Hugh, Felim, and Daniel. It seems that there was a one-man band present for

"Before them March'd (and as he march'd he played)

Ventoso in his newest Weeds Arrayed

From Leathern Baggs he squeez'd the obstrep'rous tone

Which humming issued thro' the Concave drone,

While the bold youths arrang'd on either hand,

Around the Field in decent order stand,

Amid the throng lame Hobbinol appear'd

And wav'd his Cap in order to be heard.

The Green stood silent in the Midnight Shade,

All tongues but his were still, when thus he said:

'Ye Champions of fair Lusk, and Ye of Soards

View well this ball, the present of your Lords

To outward View, three Folds of Bullocks-Hide,

With Leathern Thongs fast bound on ev'ry side.'

Ball Filled With Hay Not Air.

"'A Mass of finest Hay conceal'd from sight

Conspire at once, to make it firm and light.

At this you'll all contend, this bravely strive,

Alternate thro' the adverse' Goal to drive.'"

Instead of being kicked off the ball was tossed in the air. Felim received the pigskin and attempted to make a forward pass. The other side intercepted it, however, and punted to the Soards' goal line. Daniel received and ran back 50 yards,--

"With Lusty Strides he measur'd half the Plain

When all his Foes, surround and Stop the Swain."

First down for the Soards on the 50-yard line! Three line plunges proved unsuccessful. At this point Romance enters the game. Flora decided that the home team and more especially Daniel needed help. So:

"Anxious and trembling for her Darling's fate,

Round Daniel's leg (Unseen by human Eye)

Nine Blades of Grass, with awful textureties."

Exactly what she expected to accomplish by this strategic move the account does not explain. However, it failed since Daniel

"Drop't from his Arms, the long contended Ball."

In the second half the doughty Captain was all over the field, shining on both defense and offense.

"Thy Trip. O Terence, fell'd the lusty Neal

Kit dropt by Fellm, Hugh by Paddy fell

Toss'd down by Darby, Dick forbore to Play

John tugg'd at Cabe; while thus confus'd they lay,

Sly Le'nard struck the unheeded Ball and Stole,

With easy Paces tow'rds the unguarded Goal."

However, Captain Terence now stepped in and saved the day,

"When careful Terence, fleeter than the Wind

Ran to the Swain, and caught his arm behind

A dextrous Crook about his Leg he wound

And laid the Champion grow'ling on the ground."

With this accomplished Terence now proceeded to score.

. . . "one kick he softly stole. And with the other drove it thro' the Goal."

It would seem that the game ended one goal to nothing in the favor of the Soards, making them the new Champions of Ireland. Afterwards Terence and Norah got married and lived happily ever after, and so did Flora and Daniel.