Apted Picks Up Woman in Yard--Finds Her Mentally Deranged--Sends Her to Hospital for Observation

"I am a detective," said a well-dressed woman to Mr. C. R. Apted. Superintendent of Buildings, when he questioned her as to her peculiar conduct in the Yard on Wednesday.

"What is more, I'll tell what I am doing here, sir," she continued. "I am here on behalf of the parents of Harvard boys to watch them and to note their conduct. Haven't you read the papers lately? Haven't you heard what an immoral place Harvard has turned out to be? Well, I have, and I intend to put a stop to it, to lead these boys back to the paths of righteousness and morality."

Mr. Apted, perceiving that the woman was suffering from a temporary obsession, handed her over to the police at Station 1. There she refused to give her name or to tell what detective agency she represented. Dr. William Brouseau, City Physician of Cambridge, was called in and consulted.

She finally was taken to the Psycopathic Hospital for further observation. Up to a late hour last night the authorities there had not been able to identify her.

The woman was about 40, with irongrey hair, extremely well-dressed, of medium height, and of very attractive appearance. Mr. Apted stated that he would like any student who knew of any such woman, answering the description, to communicate with him immediately. "She was extremely reduced and undoubtedly of good family," he said when interviewed last night, "and we are very anxious to return her to her home, as she is a very sick woman."