HEART ATTACK FATAL TO PROFESSOR G. C. WHIPPLE

Gordon McKay Professor of Sanitary Engineering Dies at His Home on Thursday Morning

Professor George Chandler Whipple, Gordon McKay Professor of Sanitary Engineering in the University, died suddenly on Thursday morning at his home in Cambridge at 6 Berkeley Street. Death was caused by a heart attack.

Professor Whipple was born on March 2, 1866, at New Boston, New Hampshire in 1889 he graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, after completing a course in Civil Engineering.

He immediately entered the field of sanitation, which was then in the preliminary stages of development. From 1889 to 1897 he was in charge of the Chestnut Hill Laboratory of the Boston Waterworks.

In 1897 he assumed the direction of the Mt. Prospect Laboratory of the Brooklyn and New York Water department. Seven years later he resigned his official appointment and took up the private practice of sanitary engineering in New York city as a member of the firm of Hazen and Whipple.

Memeber of Distinguished Firm

This firm gained large renown in its special field, which had to do with water supply systems, the purification of water, and the disposal of sewage.

In 1911 Professor Whipple was called to Harvard to fill the Gordon mcKay professorship of Sanitary Engineering, which he held until his death. During the period when the Harvard Engineering school and Massachusetts Institute of each were co-op with each other he was also Professor of Squatter

Engineering at the Institute.

He was one of the organizers of the School of Public Health of Harvard and Technology which was founded in 1913, and served as Secretary of the School until the Harvard School of Public Health was organized on an Independent basis in 1922.

In 1917 Professor Whipple served as Major and Deputy Commissioner to Russia in the American Red Cross. Four years later he was appointed chief of the Department of Sanitation in the League of Red Cross Societies at Geneva in Switzerland. In this capacity he made a special study of the typhus fever in Romania.

He was a Fellow of the American Public Health Association, a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Sanitary Institute.

Funeral services will be held in Appleton Chapel at 2.30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon

Engineering at the Institute.