SAYS FALL OF ENGLISH LABOR HELPS DEMOCRATS

"LA FOLLETTE PARTY WILL NOT LIVE IN U. S."

"Labor's overthrow in England will be of great help to the Democratic party in the election, and a great hindrance to the ambitions of the La Follette supporters," declared Mr. Whiting Williams yesterday. Mr. Williams is a prominent writer and lecturer on social and labor problems.

Mr. Williams has come to Harvard to lecture tomorrow and Thursday before the Business School on current labor problems. He is the author of several books on the relation between capital and labor, including "What's on the Worker's Mind," and "Full Up and Fed Up."

English Fear Soviet Taint

He attributed the defeat of Premier MacDonald to a growing suspicion in the minds of the English people that London had become too closely allied with Moscow, and that Sovietism had infested the Labor government.

Mr. Williams predicted a reaction against labor throughout the world, as a result of the disturbance in England. "It is quite probable," he said, "that Herriot will be overthrown in a short time." He called attention to the international effect that a change in the political situation of one country these days has upon the situation in other nations.

"La Follette Party Will Die"

When his opinion was asked concerning the statements of some newspapers in this country that the defeat of the Labor party in England is the death knell of all political parties based on class distinctions, Mr. Williams declared that any such contention is wrong. "The Labor party in England is too strongly entrenched to suffer permanently from this defeat," he said. "I do think, however, that the La Follette Progressive Party in this country will die because it is opposed by the American Federation of Labor."