LIGHT COMEDY IS THEME AT COPLEY

Players Are Unable to Overcome the Deficiencies of Weak Plot in "Lady Huntworth's Experiment"

By J. L. C. jr.

The question "When is a comedy light?" is raised again by the selection of the Copley Repertory Company for this week's production at the Copley Theatre. "Lady Huntworth's Experiment", a so-called light comedy in three acts, so nearly approaches emptiness that it merits rather the sub-title of "vacuous farce".

Plot is Not Deep

The plot involved in the production is not very weighty ballast. Lady Huntworth, the defendant in a recent divorce case, seeks retirement in the disguise of a cook in the home of an elderly ulcar. Here she makes a real success, turning out fascinating edibles and causing queer vibrations in the hearts of the male population. Among these is Captain Dovaston, who is preparing to carry out the dying wish of his old leader, Colonel Pillenger, by marrying Lucy Pillenger, his daughter. Lusy upsets this arrangement by a runaway marriage with a young curate, and the captain hurries off to find Lady Huntworth, who was forced to leave this vicarage when her identity was revealed by her worthless ex-husband.

Cast Have Difficult Parts

Miss Violet Paget plays the part of the disguised society leader in as convincing a manner as possible. In the role of Captain Dorvaston, Mr. Hugh C. Buckler makes a good try at the "good-hearted giant" type of army officer, a necessary feature of most light comedies laid in England. When Miss Katherine Standing, who plays the part of Lucy Pillenger, comes on the stage, even the lightness of the comedy becomes a burden to be cast aside, cars are closed, and eyes open wide, very wide.

Lady Huntworth's Experiment" made its first Boston appearance in over 30 years on Monday night. The resurrection is unfortunate, the gray skeleton should have been allowed to rest undisturbed. The Copley Players have shown many times before, as they showed Monday night, that they are capable of something better than inane and frothy come dies.