Two Determined Teams to Clash in Stadium Today

Rival Elevens Are Rated as Equals--Figures Favor Crimson Backs

Thirty-five thousand Crimson backers will await the opening whistle at 2 o'clock this afternoon with a common slogan. "Even the post war series" is their demand to Captain Greenough's eleven. Over 20,000 Tiger rooters have collected from various parts of the country with the spirit of revenge for the 5-0 defeat administered them at the Palmer Stadium last fall.

With the clash of these two crowds, two teams harboring remarkable potentialities will come together. Both combinations are confident of victory, and neither is so without good cause.

In another light can, Harvard and Princeton be compared. Neither team has been built up around any individual star; both contain a group of half a dozen players who stand on the very borderline of greatness. End for end, tackle for tackle, and so on through every position, the two when compared show striking equality.

In Stafford, who will probably start at the pilot position, although Coach Fisher still considers Cheek a possibility, the Crimson has an energetic quarterback capable of inspiring the team to its greatest. He will be the lightest man on the field this afternoon, but so quick and shiftly that as a broken field runner he is a formidable threat.

Late last night Coach Roper of the Nassau combination was still uncertain as to whether he would start Williams or Dinsmore in the quarterback berth. The odds point to the former starting. Against Swarthmore last Saturday, he was the outstanding player. His open field running was dazzling.

A comparison of the other three backs of each team gives Harvard an advantage. Miller, Gehrke, and Hammond outweigh their opponents by the startling amount of 29 pounds a man. That the Crimson backs are not deficient in speed, line plunging, or defense work is evident to those who have seen them in action. In all points but weight, however, Princeton comes close to being an equal in the backfield. Such an overwhelming difference in bulk cannot help but handicap the Tiger.

In the line the balance swings slightly in favor of the Orange and Black. Beattie, Hills, and McMillan are all 200-pounders. Beattie, the left tackle, is considered one of the outstanding linemen of collegiate football. Princeton undergraduates say "Watch Beattie." At the right extremity is Captain Stout, who rose to fame two years ago when he was largely instrumental in his team's victory.

Gamache and Greenough will face Stout today. They represent the two extremes of the Crimson team in regard to experience. Greenough has already made a worthy name for himself as a forward. Gamache, on the other hand, has everything to gain today, starting in the first big game of his life. His chances of starting the Yale game depend entirely on the impression he gives the coaches this afternoon.

Coady and Daley are two Sophomores in almost the same boat as Gamache. Brilliancy against the Tiger will make them. They have risen to University calibre amid great odds. The attainment of their present positions makes critics expect a lot from them today.

The rival elevens, then, taken as a whole, match up very evenly, which makes it almost impossible to predict a victory for either side. The general feeling gives Harvard a small margin, but a single break can turn the tables