PANEM ET CIRCENSES

Yesterday the legislative work of the new British Commons opened with the speech from the throne. The contrast with last February's opening is broad and deep. Uncertainty of power depending upon the cohesion of Liberals and Laborites is replaced by the dependability of a large Tory majority. Uncertainty of policy, arising from the first advent to power of a new party, is dispersed, for the course of the Conservatives is well fixed by precedent and platform. Uncertainty of tenure is gone, for no fresh issues seem likely to lower on the clear sky of English politics. Altogether, Parliament has given up that gambling spirit of a few months ago for a staid and steady gait upon an unadventurous road.

Admitting that internal and economic questions are as nearly insolvable as under any ministry, it seems likely that the Baldwin cabinet will seek to outdo its defeated rivals in foreign policy. The decisive putting down of the imperial foot in Egypt, the postponement of the protocol conference at England's behest, the presence of Austen Chamberlain at the opening in Rome of the League Council point to a reliance upon England's own strength in diplomacy rather than to the dubious protection of treaties and agreements. The Tories will, of course, try to reduce taxes, without restricting the beneficent activities of the government among the needy electorate. Altogether, the next months, perhaps years, will see the unrolling of a moderate plan of internal relief and development with a rather dignified and touchy mingling in the horseplay of European politics: bread at home and game abroad will once again quiet the restless mob of voters.