HOCKEY MEN TAKE FIRST GAME, 8 TO 3

Scores Four Goals, While Bailey and Burgess Cage Two Aplece--Tech Makes Rally in Last Period

Exhibiting typical "first game" form, the University hockey team defeated the M. I. T. sextet 8 to 3 in a game played last night at, the Arena. W. M. Austin '25 led the scoring for the Crimson with four goals, with E. H. Bailey '27 and G. W. Burgess '25 contributing two each to the final total.

Technology Outclassed

The University sextet completely outclassed the Technology team at all stages of the game, entering the final period with a 5 to 0 lead. At this point, Coach Bigelow substituted W. T. Reid '26 at goal for J. L. Newell '26. Reid has been displaying good form this week, and is the most likely of the new candidates, but his evident nervousness last night was undoubtedly a factor which worked against him in the final period.

Many Substitutions

Austin made the first three scores of the game, two of them on hard shots at the corner of the net which just missed the iron bar. Coach Bigelow made numerous substitutions last night, and if nothing else, the game revealed that he has a wealth of reserve material for the 1925 team. The passing was ragged on both sextets, and a tendency frequently to shoot from near mid ice probably lost several goals for Harvard. A much improved Crimson team will be the inevitable result of several weeks more of practice. HARVARD  M. I. T. Austin, Burgess. Scott l.w.  r.w. Niles, Crandall Hodder, Duraut. Gross c.  c. Morton, Moulton Bailey, Peirson, Hamlen r.w.  l.w. Randall Pratt, Bohlen l.d.  r.d. Berkley, Niles Ellison, Wylde r.d.  l.d. Zubrinski Newell, Reid g.  g. Richards, Diegnan

Score, Harvard 8, M. I. T. 3. Goals, by Austin 4, Bailey 2, Burgess 2, Moulton 2, Morton. Referees, Grew and Synnott. Umpires Dowse and Bigelow. Timers, Carleton and Morris. Time, three 20-minute periods.