FOSDICK WILL SPEAK AT P. B. H. TONIGHT

Appleton Chapel Packed Yesterday--Hundreds Turned Away--Fosdick Is Center of Religious Controversy

Dr. Harry Emerson Fosdick, famous New York divine, will speak this evening in Peabody Hall, Phillips Brooks House at 8.30 o'clock, on "The Need of Modern Religious Leadership." This meeting will be open only to members of the University.

Dr. Fosdick spoke yesterday before a congregation that packed Appleton Chapel to the doors. In spite of the ruling which limited the attendance to those connected with the University and their friends, hundreds were turned away.

Is Center of Controversy

Dr. Fosdick has for several years been in the thick of the fight between the Modernists and Fundamentalists. As the Baptist minister of a Presbyterian Church, he became the object of attack by both religious bodies. He especially incurred the wrath of William Jennings Bryan, who believes with Dr. John Roach Straton, that "there are no missing links and no ape men." The culmination of this bitter and pitiless attack on the great liberal religious leader came last fall when the First Presbyterian Church of New York, where Dr. Fosdick has been minister, for several years, decided to sever all relations with him.

This action was taken after the Presbyterian General Assembly demanded that he either become affiliated with the Presbyterian Church or relinquish his pulpit.

Asked "What is Christianity?"

Last year Dr. Fosdick spoke in the Living Room of the Union on "What Is Christianity?" In that speech he emphasized the fact that Christianity was not merely giving to the church. He said, "Christianity is a way of living. . . Do you know of any way of living with yourselves, with your fellows, and with your God, that compares with this?"

In his sermon yesterday morning, Dr. Fosdick again emphasized this fact. He pointed out that Christianity was neither a superfluity nor an abnormality imposed on life, but that it was life itself.